Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Letting Serendipity Rule




How wonderful to see Rounder Records emerge triumphant on Grammy night with the multiple awards conferred on Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss.

It's a wonderful collection of songs. Appeals to the demographic who still buys CDs and reads newspapers that stain your fingers. Yeah, that's me.

This comes on the heels of the announcement that Borders is dramatically cutting back the presence of music in their stores. These days you can't find a chain of "music stores" anymore. The rug is slipping out from under me more swiftly now.

How much longer will I have the pleasure of letting serendipity determine what music I might purchase on a given day? I go to used record stores with my "wish list," but inevitably I bump into "finds" as I browse through the CDs and vinyl. If the price is low or right enough, I'm willing to move outside my comfort zone musically. Or perhaps dive deeper into a given interest.

I like going to the "box store." Invigorating myself with a coffee and the alternative newspaper afterwards. I am going to miss these days once all the trolling I do will be from my computer.

No comments: